Sunday, December 29, 2013

Thelma Brewer>> Mabel I. Baines>> William Baines>> Margaret Wainman>> William Wainman>> Ruth Knowles>> Hannah Wood>> Abraham Wood AND Thelma Brewer>> Robert Melvin Brewer>> Mary A. Wainman>> James A. Wainman>> William Wainman>> Ruth Knowles>> Hannah Wood>> Abraham Wood

Abraham Wood was born in 1707 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire. It is unknown at this time who his parents were.

Sometime before 1734 it is presumed that he marries Hannah Morley (1711-unknown). It is very possible that they are married in Calverton, as both Abraham and their known child, Hannah Wood (1734-unknown) are born in the parish. Hannah Wood will marry John Knowles (1733-unknown) and their union will produce at least one child- Ruth Knowles (1781-1848).

Calverton is a small forest village within Sherwood forest. The Kings Highway passed nearby to this village. Here is an account written about this village by Maurice Pugh, the curate for the village in response to an inquiry by the Archbishop of York during the time the family would have likely resided in the village in 1743, when Abraham is 36, his wife Hannah is 32, and their daughter Hannah is 9:

"I. We have about eighty Families in Our Parish we have but two Families Dissenters, one of them Presbyterian, one Quaker.

II. We have a licensd Meeting House in Our Parish for the Presbyterians, but it has not been made use of these 5 or 6 Years

III. We have a Charity School, but not endowed, to teach fourteen Children to read english at the Direction of Mr: Abel Smith, Trustee to the late Mr. Labray of this Town. the Children are instructed as the Canon requires.

IV. We have no Alms House, but have land given to the Poor, by Mrs. Jane Pepper late of this Parish and others the Rent of which is 2 : 7 : 0 per An. The Vicar and Parish Officers dispose of it jointly to the Poor, we know of no abuse in the management of it.

V. I reside upon My Vicarage of Calverton.

VI. I do the Duty Myself—

VII. I know of no such Persons. (Non-baptised churchgoers)

VIII. I read the publick Service once every Lords Day in My Church Morning & Evening alternately I am obliged to do Duty in the Church of Woodborough that is joined with Calverton, I presume the small allowance from the Church of Southwell has been the Reason that Service could not be performed according to Canon

IX. I catechise the Children and Servants during the time of Lent, and all the Summer from May to Michaelmass, and spend some time every Sunday Evening in instructing the Youth in the Principles of the Christian Religion during that time.

X. I administer the Sacrament four times in Year at least. I have about a hundred and fifty Communicants they all receive two or three Times in the Year, about three score last Easter.

XI. I give open and timely Warning of the Sacrament before it is administred, My Parishioners give Me Notice when any Young persons design to communicate, or new Servants, but the elderly People I have not called upon to do so but will for the future. I have had no Reason to refuse the Sacrament to any Person. Calverton May 21. 1744 MAURICE PUGH Vicar" (Wikipedia entry on Calverton, cited on 12/29/2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment